Admiral Windwagon Smith XLIV
Meet Your Admiral
Riverfest 2017’s ambassador is a skilled communicator and a passionate advocate for education, the arts, the community and, of course, Riverfest. Wendy Johnson, division director of marketing and communications for the Wichita Public Schools, grew up in Wichita and graduated from Wichita High School East. Her Shocker pride runs deep, having earned both a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and a Master of Public Administration from Wichita State University.
“When I was a kid rolling down the hillside in A. Price Woodard Park during Riverfest, I never thought I would experience this amazing community event as Admiral Windwagon Smith,” said Johnson. “I am honored to represent more than 7,000 dedicated volunteers, and I hope to help Wichita families build their own life-long memories of Riverfest.”
Johnson received Wichita Festivals’ Galaxy Award in 2013 recognizing more than 20 years of outstanding volunteer service. She served on the WFI Board of Directors for six years and was its chair in 2006. She has been a proud member of the WFI operations committee (the “red shirts”) since 2003, including serving as Riverfest general chair in 2011. Johnson is also an active supporter of WFI’s Autumn and Art at Bradley Fair.
“Riverfest has long been an important part of my life,” said Johnson. “My dad volunteered with the Coleman Company during canoe races. My mom graciously gave up her Mothers’ Day celebrations to watch the East High Band perform in Sunday afternoon concerts, and there was nothing like leading the Blue Aces marching band in the Sundown Parade.”
Johnson’s commitment to the community includes service to organizations such as Tallgrass Film Association, Girls on the Run, Boy Scouts of America Quivira Council and the American Red Cross. She has received numerous honors for her volunteer and professional achievements including the Alumni Award for Outstanding Public Service from the Hugo Wall School of Urban and Public Affairs at WSU, the Distinguished Service Award from the Kansas School Public Relations Association and the Excellence in Public Service Award from the DeVore Foundation.
Admiral XLIV “At a Glance”
* Attended Wichita Public Schools and graduated from Wichita High School East
* Graduated from Wichita State University with bachelor and master degrees.
* Division director of marketing and communications for Wichita Public Schools since 2001.
* Wendy and her husband, Terry Wiggers, have three sons – Tyler Johnson, Thomas Johnson and Brandon Wiggers.
* A die-hard WSU Shocker fan, she has adopted the Kansas State Wildcats during football season thanks to her husband.
* Grew up playing clarinet, and is an advocate for the arts and a lover of all types of music.
* Avid collector of Mickey Mouse memorabilia.
* Completer of four half-marathons, and cheerleader to all those who “don’t consider themselves runners” but have the courage to try.